At the end of the year 2007 was resleased the new version of this operating system Debian based for mobile terminals.
Here we have the official noticed for the new release of the OS2008 Maemo version.
The most important new features are:
- Easy to use interface.
- Web browser Mozilla based. But sadly it is not Minimo.
- Flash 9 support: finally we could see youtube with no hard configurations.
- Updated the number for multimedia codecs: AAC, MP3, WMA, 3GP, AVI, H.264, MP4, WMV, MPEG-4, RealVideo,…
Steps to update your system:
- Log your machine to download the sftware trough the Nokia web page: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php
- Download the newest release, at 12/04/2008 is RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin 134 MB file.
- Download the flasher software trough the USB port here.
- Execute following line in a terminal:
sudo ./flasher-3.0 -F RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
- After some items it becomes blocked with a message in your terminal: “Suitable USB device not found, waiting”
- Now we connect our Tablet to the USB, holding the power buton.
- Then it will be copied the new system and flashed.
- Reboot the system, and we must reconfigure our new Maemo, but it will be easier with the assistant.
You can find the equipment instructions here, for linux. I do not find how to flash it from Windows XP, because of you need the flash software and there is not support for Windows (;-) Windoze knowing its own strategies).
- This is a new version, then it have little software catalog.
- The web browser, better than OS2007, but without tabs very necessary form me.
- Problems with any DivX formats, you can resolve it with aditional software: Internet Tablet Video Converter.